|Back Next||Dornoch Cathedral, Dornoch, Scotland|
10 May 1997: The Dornoch Cathedral was built in the 13th century during the reign of King Alexander II (1214-1249) by Gilbert de Moravia, the 1st Earl of Sutherland. The first service was held in 1239.
Moravia was later recognized as "one of the noblest and wisest ecclesiastics the mediaeval church produced" and he was the last Scotsman to be named a saint.
The church was partially destroyed by fire in 1570 during a feud between the Sinclair, Sutherland and Murray clans.