|Back Next||Church of the Holy Rude, Stirling, Scotland|
13 May 1997: The Valley Cemetery.
"By the 1850s, the Holy Rude Kirkyard was so overcrowded that older graves
were regularly disturbed to make way for new burials;
access to almost every plot involved trampling over others. The Valley Cemetery was opened in 1857-8...It gave carriage access to every plot.
Each grave was to be used only once. And the whole area was designed to be ornamental and attractive."