30 November 1990. "The missions' need for irrigation
for the crops necessitated an
elaborate system of acequias,
or irrigation ditches, to channel water. The Spanish
constructed seven acequias, five dams,
and an aqueduct, using American Indian
workers. This system extended 15
miles and irrigated
3,500 acres of land. The Espada
Aqueduct was constructed in 1745 by
Franciscans to serve
the mission lands of Espada.
It is the only remaining Spanish aqueduct
in the United States."