|Back Next||Mission San Antonio de Valera (The Alamo), San Antonio, Texas|
23 December 2003: Mission
San Antonio de Valera (The Alamo) was established in 1718
The mission changed locations several times. The foundation at its current location was laid in 1744.
The mission was secularized in 1793 and the mission convento (priests' residence) became a hospital in 1806.
Between 1810 and 1865 the former mission changed
hands at least sixteen times, belonging variously to